Sunday, 10 January 2016
Beatles, The - Not For Sale (NEMS Records 1985)
'Not For Sale'
(1985 NEMS Records : MOP-910)
Digital copy of original vinyl.
Studio Soundboard Recordings
Encoded: 320 Kbps MP3
1) One After 909 3:02 - Cavern Rehearsal 1962 Ringo has confirmed playing the drums so this dates the tape to post Aug 1962 . Liner notes: "EMI rehearsal". Not true. This is a Cavern Rehearsal.
2) Catswalk 1:06 - Cavern Rehearsal 1962 Ringo has confirmed playing the drums so this dates the
tape to post Aug 1962 . Liner notes: "EMI rehearsal". This is not true. This is a Cavern
Rehearsal. This song was never recorded by The Beatles at EMI
3) Bad To Me 1:29 - Acoustic Demo May 1963 HR.36 Recorded mid-1963 (Apr-June?)
4) How Do You Do It 1:56 - Take 1 1962 09 04 Pre 'Session's Mix'
5) Do You Want To Know A Secret 1:54 - Take 7 1963 02 11
6) Leave My Kitten Alone 2:49 - Take 4 False start & Take 5 1964 09 14 Sessions Mix , Ending has
been grafted on. Master tape cuts off after the line 'well, I told you big, bad bulldog'
7) If You've Got Trouble 2:43 - Take 1 External 1965 02 18 This is NOT the "Sessions" mix, it's
an external recording of a studio playback, which appeared here for the first time
8) Shout 2:00 - TV 1964 04 19 Recorded at the IBC Studios in order to mime to them on the show
'Around the Beatles' broadcast 1964 04 28
9) Medley Of Hits: Love Me Do/Please Please Me/From Me To You/She Loves You/I Want To Hold Your Hand 4:01 - TV 1964 04 19 Recorded at the IBC Studios for them to mime to on the show
'Around The Beatles' broadcast 1964 04 28
10) The National Health Cow (Excerpt) 0:21 - John reading "The National Health Cow"
11) Yes It Is 2:42 - Take 14 1965 02 16 Has John saying "Oh let's go, let's get out of here"
edited onto the front, from an outtake of "I'm A Loser". The end of the take has the last
line edited on from the record, at the wrong speed.
12) Paperback Writer 2:19 - Take 2 1966 04 13 SS.PM2.03.02 Stereo Mix after numerous overdubs.
13) Your Mother Should Know 2:20 - Take 8 1967 08 22 SS.MMT.05.08 Truncated should run for 2:29.
Take 9 (the released take) was a reduction mix of this Take onto which numerous overdubs were made. Has the last line "Yeah!" edited on from the record, also at the wrong speed.
14) Birthday 2:42 - Regular Out Of Phase 18 Sep 1968 OUTFAKE, out of phase dub of released take
15) Goodbye 2:21 - Demo Feb 1969
16) I've Got A Feeling - 4:05 Get Back Session 1969 01 27 DDSI 27.11
17) I Me Mine 1:43 - Take 16 1970 01 03 After overdubs of electric guitar, electric piano, organ, 2nd acoustic guitar and new lead and backing vocals. BUT before the Phil Spector Overdubs.
18) A Day In The Life 5:04 RS Unknown Take 6, 7 & Edit Piece 9 1967 01 20 SS.SGT.13.0607.RSa
This alternate stereo mix (# unknown) is very much like the official release except for some
details. John's count in still present. Unlike the other previous attempts, this one is
complete and features the Edit Piece 9 (note that some bootlegs present this version without
the edit piece 9) Stereo mix with clean intro and countdown of an Edit of Take 6 & 7 as the
Commercial Version. Takes 6 & 7 + edit piece 9, RS # unknown, 22 feb 67
From cover notes:
Overall you will find the sound quality on this album to be superb. However, deficiencies will
be apparent on several of the tracks that were taken from acetates, most notably on Bad To Me
and Birthday on which surface noise will be evident.